Last week I turned my phone off, put on my email out of office, left my laptop at home, and took to the countryside for my holiday on a canal boat. Absolute bliss!
I'd never even stayed in a caravan - let around a canal boat - before, so it was quite a shock to the system, and, at times, quite claustrophic. Saying that, the beautiful scenery completely made up for the odd drizzly day. I read 3 books (reviews to come), laughed until my sides hurt, walked for miles and miles along the tow path with Alfie, and generally spent a lovely 7 days with some of my nearest and dearest.
Here's my photo diary!
It was definitely an experience I'll always remember. Shropshire and North Wales is so beautiful, these photos don't even begin to show how gorgeous it was! We had a 10 berth boat and travelled from Llangollen to Whitchurch, and back again.
I learned a few things on my trip:
- I really am a country bumpkin at heart, and loved being out in the wild surrounded by bees and trees
- Being without technology is just AMAZING. Usually, I check my phone roughly a million times every day, but being away from any kind of screens for a week was utter bliss
- I've got a lovely set of "in laws", even if we don't agree on everything
- I have no problem living out of a bag. I didn't wear make up, barely brushed my hair, and lived in converse for 7 full days. And it felt SO GOOD.
- I've inherited my parents' love of walking. Dread to think how many miles I trotted with energetic Alf by my side!
Have you ever been on a canal boat? Share your stories, I'd love to hear!